This type of cabinet furniture, as walls, appeared in the last century, and today they are still very popular. Wall-slides, having high functionality, provide more opportunities for designers in interior design of premises.
What is the "wall" in the classic sense?
"Walls" can be sold in the form of already fully formed kits, and in individual modules, the customer determines the required set of which and their quantity immediately at the time of purchase. Sections can have different depth and length. They can have glass display cases for dishes, modules with a bar, TV stands, sections for open or closed storage of books, drawers for storing clothes. They also often include cabinets. Walls can differ in a configuration, the sizes, material of which they are made.
The main advantage of the "walls" is their capacity: in them you can find a place for almost any items.
Among the shortcomings can be called:
- high cost;
- assembly complexity;
- the limited options for compositions of the product;
- insufficiently effective use of the useful volume available at the wall, which occupies, as a rule, the entire space from the floor to the ceiling itself;
- the need for purchase to know exactly all the dimensions of the room and take into account its configuration (even with a minor error, serious problems may arise with the placement of the elements constituting the wall, especially for owners of a small apartment).
The main feature of all the slides is that they are multi-layered structures. Modules slides can be located at different heights. The differences are also observed in the layout of both open niches and fully or partially closed facades, which ultimately creates a certain composition with individual geometry and design. Whereas classical walls do not have such lightness and hardly fit into a small room (for example, in a nursery).
Modern walls, slides are available in such a wide range that you can find suitable options for this furniture for the living room, and for other premises. For example, a wall-slide with a closet can look good both in the hall and in the nursery.
Many models of wall-slides have a place (sometimes in the form of a pedestal, sometimes in the form of a shelf) to accommodate a TV, video equipment, and audio systems.
Furniture manufacturers currently produce these varieties:
- straight and angular walls-slides;
- mini slides;
- modular wall-slides.
In stores, you can purchase either ready-made options, or make an order for their manufacture, taking into account the sizes that the customer needs. At the same time, the client can independently determine the type of decoration of the slide, for example, at his request, a glossy wall-hill or a wall-hill under a walnut, or in the color of an Sonoma oak can be made.
There are many types of ready-made modules with gloss, and matte, and with glass in the doors, and with mirror inserts. There are large walls, small walls, and with a chest of drawers, and even with a table, which makes it possible to assemble exactly the layout that suits the buyer in size and suits him in terms of economics. However, when choosing from the available kits, the acquired slide may not be beautiful enough, be smaller than we would like, or have a design that is not entirely satisfactory or gloss. Often, for example, a ready-made wall-slide for TV is functionally and aesthetically fully satisfying the customer, but has some modules that are not exactly the right size, which is why they have to be placed away from the base composition.
A wall-slide with a wardrobe, made according to the client’s sketches, will of course cost more than that assembled from ready-made modules, but its design may be unique. Such furniture will always fit perfectly into the space of the room, have the desired layout of the shelves or hanging sections. The choice of this option is particularly justified if you need a wall-slide in the living room in a modern style, and a room of non-standard sizes, or the overall interior design suggests that the furniture should be glossy, and only modules with a matte surface are commercially available.
Choosing a "slide" wall, you need to think in advance how the suspended modules will be mounted (if any). Do you need suspended elements or you want to have a frame system of stand-alone modules. If some cabinets and shelves will be fixed on the wall, then you need to take into account their weight along with what will be on them (or in them), and choose the appropriate method of their reliable fastening.
This option is suitable for small-sized apartments, such as studio type and one-room. Mini-walls are minimalist in the configuration:
- several open shelves or one;
- TV table;
- small closet installed on the floor or mounted type.
Particularly appropriate are the mini-slides in the living room in case this room has a small area, since, as a rule, with their small size they give particular brevity and completeness to the interior design of the living room.
The main disadvantage of mini-mounds is their large compactness, as a result of which a large number of things cannot be placed in them.
Slides of this type are preferably placed in large rooms and especially with a square configuration. In small apartments, a similar wall will look too massive and out of place because the corner section will “absorb” the space from two sides at once, visually reducing the already small dimensions of the room.
Owners of spacious living rooms, even choosing such a furniture as a corner wall-slide with a wardrobe, will easily solve the problem of filling an empty corner. You can also purchase such slides for a medium-sized hall, if this is not the only room in the apartment.
For this type of furniture, a straight slide is a classic. It is they who are most often given preference when choosing such a room arrangement option in which you can achieve maximum harmony with the overall style of the room. A straight wall-slide in a large or medium-sized room is well suited, and it will look great in spacious living rooms. It will occupy the empty space and decorate a large room without the effect of cluttering.
This, already mentioned type of hills, is the most practical type of similar furniture. And all this because the modules (shelves, cabinets, etc.) can be swapped and get the most optimal and convenient option. If you install a modular wall-slide with a closet in the living room, then after a while you can modify the furniture configuration and “refresh” the interior of the room.
Considering the various types of modern walls, slides, it is impossible not to note the importance of their choice, given the availability of this type of furniture and a certain style, reflecting the different directions of design art.
Based on your taste preferences, today you can choose the slides that correspond to the following styles described below.
- Modern - today is the most popular style. The wall-hill in Art Nouveau style is characterized by simplicity, straightness of outlines, lack of facade bends and rounded shelves. The facades often combine gloss and wooden surface, which looks not only stylish, but also modern. In this case, the gloss is obtained by applying either glass or a lacquer coating.
- High tech. Such slides are distinguished by minimalism in the demonstration of closed elements. They are extremely compact, they can include only, for example, hinged open shelves and sections. The design often contains chrome parts.
- Classic. This style is characterized by the presence of the base of the lower modules and the eaves of the upper structures, decorative locks, framed facades. Often there are shop windows with glass bets.
- Provence. This is almost a classic, but with the presence of worn items, as well as the use of floral design, made in the style known as "decoupage". A characteristic feature of the style is the presence of "lion" legs or a classic base in the lower thumbs. The material used is wood or its imitation.
- East style. Such a hill is distinguished by an abundance of decor, the surface of products is often decorated with embossed elements, gold ornaments, bright colorful patterns.
On the market today there is a wide selection of wall-slides, both domestic and foreign manufacturers. Particular attention is paid to modular Italian as well as Swedish wall-slides, in which mirrors and air structures with a minimum of partitions are often used to visually enlarge the space, but the wall-slides with the closets that were created according to your individual design will not be guaranteed in any other apartment.