Ceiling stained glass - a solution that may seem somewhat exotic at first glance, but which, when properly installed, will look more than impressive. Stained glass ceilings are originality and luxury. Moreover, in addition to the obvious advantage - aesthetics - they have other advantages:
- Manifold. Ceiling stained glass can be made in one of at least five techniques and actually depict anything: a picture, an intricate ornament, an abstract combination of colors. A talented artist can create a real work of art, which will be completely exclusive.
- Ease of care. Glass does not need frequent care, cannot crumble like plaster, or hang over time like a suspended ceiling. To make stained glass ceilings look new and clean, it is enough just to wipe them off with a damp cloth from time to time.
- Resistance to external influences. If you do not throw up heavy objects, stained glass ceilings can last for many years. They are not afraid of temperature changes, they are resistant to mold and parasites. Moreover, the glass is absolutely immune to high humidity, and the stained glass ceiling in the bathroom, even over a decade, will not look worse.
- Easy replacement. If one section of the plastered ceiling crumbles, you will have to re-plaster everything. But if one of the glass fragments of the stained glass ceiling cracks, it will be enough to remove it and replace it with another one that is similar.
- Environmentally friendly materials. Glass is not capable of harming the human body. It does not emit harmful compounds, does not grow moldy and, after serving its term, can be recycled.
The combination of all the advantages makes stained glass ceilings a good decision. However, it is also important to choose the appropriate type of installation and manufacturing.
Installation of the stained glass ceiling is a complex and demanding process. It can be done in several different techniques.
- Suspended. Suspended stained glass ceiling is performed on a metal frame, which is attached to the ceiling with special hangers. Usually it takes only part of the ceiling space.
- Stretch. In this case, the stained-glass insert occupies only a part in the stretch ceiling. The principle, however, remains similar to the previous version: the stained glass window is mounted in a metal frame, the frame is fixed to the ceiling, special fastenings are made around its perimeter, on which the stretch ceiling film is stretched.
- Cassette. They are made on the principle of a cassette ceiling, in which ready-made tiles are inserted into an already finished frame. It includes only rectangular inserts, attached to the ceiling on spring hangers.
- Ceiling. In this case, the main ceiling remains flat, but niches or bulges are made in it, which allows you to create a very peculiar pattern.
As a rule, installation of a ceiling stained glass window in an apartment requires a certain ceiling height. Too low a ceiling will become even lower and will make the room uncomfortable and oppressive as a result.
Finished stained glass ceilings are found in two versions:
- Film. This stained-glass ceiling in the bathroom is not put - in it the glass is only covered with a special film depicting a drawing. This is the cheapest option, but at the same time the most unstable: it is sensitive to moisture, and after a while the film begins to crawl.
- Prefab. This is a much more expensive and much more durable option. In it a stained glass window is assembled from specially cut glass elements.
There is a difference in how the tiles will be made. There are different techniques.
The oldest and most reliable version of manufacturing, which made most of the old stained glass windows that adorn palaces and temples. With this technique you can create a very colorful stained glass window, each element of which will be ideally suited to its place:
- the artist paints a picture or pattern, which will be stained;
- the picture is divided into separate elements;
- appropriate elements are machined from glass using a grinding machine;
- each element of the stained glass around the edge is wrapped in metal foil;
- Using a soldering iron and other tools, the foil is soldered together.
One of the newest and futuristic approaches. Allows you to make a multi-level stained glass, especially suitable for abstract paintings:
- the artist prepares a sketch according to which the stained glass will be painted;
- on a special glass cloth, the artist places turned glass elements and sends everything together to the furnace;
- in the furnace, the elements are fused into the canvas and into each other, forming a drawing similar to that in watercolor.
Also the old and familiar way to process stained glass windows. It does not allow special difficulties, only flat strict patterns and geometric patterns:
- the artist makes a sketch for a stained glass window;
- the master makes the frame of lightweight aluminum according to the sketch;
- the master grinds glass elements with the help of a grinding machine - each of them is ideally suited to its place;
- master inserts items into the frame.
Simple, cheap, but short-lived, which actually have little to do with this stained glass window:
- photo printing - in this case, a film with a pattern is stuck on top of the glass tiles, which can easily peel off over time;
- pouring - in this case, on a continuous glass sheet with a special varnish, the contours are made, which are then filled with varnish;
- painting - in this case, drawing is done on a continuous glass canvas with special paint - the technique is no different from painting with ordinary gouache.
In this case, each tile is made separately, processed by a tight stream of sand, guided by hot air. The result is very embossed elements that can be very beautiful.
In addition, nothing prevents a talented craftsman to make a stained-glass ceiling, which will be located in the hallway or bathroom, and will be performed using different techniques. For example, to make a frame ceiling with inserts from sand-treated tiles.
No less than the method of manufacture and installation, important lamps, which will highlight the ceiling. On their location depends on the overall impression that he will produce.
One large lamp in the center is good if you need to select a specific part of the stained glass - in this case only the middle will be bright, the rest will be slightly lost in the gloom, which can be an interesting solution.
Around the edges
Not less interesting option, in which the lamps are located on the sides of the stained glass, because of what the center will appear shaded and gloomy.
All over the ceiling
This option is good if the stained-glass ceiling with illumination is made of frosted glass, which dims the light of lamps and makes it uniform and pleasant. The solution is well suited for ceilings with patterns and abstract drawings, in which there is no need to allocate anything.
Within the meaning of
Such a solution is good when the stained-glass ceiling with illumination has a clear semantic content and certain parts of it should glow. For example, it would be correct to position the lamp just opposite the sun shown on the window.
Stained glass ceiling can be a great solution if you have a suitable idea and master who can bring it to life. The result of this approach will be much more impressive than the result of buying a simple, typical, shelf stained glass window with a geometric pattern that does not differ in originality.